Monday, July 16, 2007

Hey Maggie

Upon leaving for my "Farm Trip," I stopped by a friend's home to drop off some hard pears. Maggie runs the Hotel in town and is as sweet as she could be. She redefines the term compassion. A few of the people that stay there are a tad kooky, but she treats them all with the utmost respect. She goes above and beyond what most would do - without complaining. I especially like her dog "Scooby-Doo." He'll eat anything. She gets him four hamburgers every Friday and he eats them like it is his job!

We have struck up a dialogue about the history of the building she manages; she knows more about it than people who have lived in town for 65 years. I hope to find some more information about it for another time.

She wasn't home so I left her bag of pears on the front stoop and drove off, only to see her walking down the street. I pulled up beside her, told her what I had done, and that I was on my way. We exchanged pleasantries and she said she had checked out the web site, and got a good laugh. I said, "Thank you," and that's when it hit me.


She needs to get out of here. She spends all of her energy taking care of other peoples troubles while neglecting her own. Telling someone that they belong somewhere better is always hard, because more often than not you come off as sanctimonious or preachy.

In this case, I don't feel that way. As much as I would miss her, I feel she needs to concentrate more on taking care of the most important person in her life...HER. She and a friend visited a spa a few months back and she still grins when she speaks about it. She said her mind was stimulated by the interaction. At the hotel people are from all walks of life and continually coming and going , but they're not allowing her talents, or intellect, to grow and prosper.

So Maggie: pick up your bed and get out of town. That world of things you said you would like to see in your life? Start today.


No comments:

Post a Comment