Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Jiffy Lubing Us









I made what appears now to be a grievous error in judgment when I decided to take my car into ye ole Jiffy Lube for an oil change last week. The video above documents more than a few California Jiffy Lube's greasing their customers for work not performed. [Full disclosure: So far as I can tell this video was shot during a period of May through October of last year by a local news watchdog in LA.]

This story has been running wild on the net, but I've been slightly reluctant to weigh in on the topic as I was waiting for some upper level response from Jiffy Lube, other than, "This is unacceptable," or, "Changes will be made."

Well, changes were made all right. In California. At a couple stores. They fired those caught on tape. Nothing sings corporate cover-up like a company who refuses to address rather serious allegations in any rational form. I'm not sure who is in charge of PR for this outfit, but they must have attended the Floyd Landis School for Damage Control. I particularly like the gentleman who lies about being a district manager. Wonderful.

So what makes me think this can't happen to me? Uh...nothing. I hope I actually got the oil change I paid for. I probably enjoy local news quite a bit less than the next guy, but this is the kind of stuff which makes watching the firemen save Aunt Jinny's cat worth your time. Maybe I'm wrong; I found this on their website:

We're Committed to Excellent Service
At Jiffy Lube®, we strive to exceed your expectations every time you visit us — from the moment you drive onto the lot until the time you drive away. We take this goal so seriously, we're 100% committed to your satisfaction.

Well, that's reassuring. At least they're not serving us goat. Oh and by the way, next time you're in California I'd avoid EZ Lube as well.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. This past winter, I paid for an oil change at Jiffy Lube. They seemed to want to sell me all kinds of things, but I thought their pushy approach was very odd, so I told them no and took my car elsewhere for the things they tried to sell me. Strangely, I was told I didn't need any of those things, since my car only had 25,000 miles on it.

    Now I'm wondering if I should have asked the real mechanic if they even did the oil change I paid for, or if they just pretended to do it.

    Thanks for the heads-up. I'll never go to Jiffy Lube again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how take care of your property. Thanks for sharing your story. Keep it up!

    oil change in miami

    ReplyDelete